About this Blog
I am the Motley is what I like to call a “general life blog,” or a “Stuff I Thought About This Week” blog. The posts are going to cover a variety of topics. That said, here’s a list to give you an idea of what’s in store:
THINGS THAT ARE LIKELY BE DISCUSSED:
- Gender theory/Queer theory/Life as a transgender individual. I am transgender. The specifics of my transition are something I’m still sussing out as I am not binary-identified (Not identified as either male or female. Don’t panic; there’s a glossary.) I am also engaged to be married to a cisgender man (He was assigned male at birth and he’s just fine with that, thanks. Again, no panicking: glossary.) For someone with a trans identity marriage can be a complex and slippery issue, especially in the context of the larger LGBTQ community.
- Performance. It is my occupation and my passion. I’m a musician/songwriter, an actor, and an occasional drag performer. That last one’s more of a hobby than the other two, but I don’t take it any less seriously.
- Geekery/Science Fiction/Science Fact. I am a raging geek of geekiness. My love for my chosen fandoms burns with the fire of a thousand suns. My current obsession is Doctor Who, and I adore Matt Smith, so Beware of Squee once April 23rd rolls around (for the uninitiated: that’s when the next season starts). As far as science fact goes, my fascination is physics, particularly astrophysics and theoretical physics.
- Yoga. I’m not deep enough into it to call myself a yoga fanatic, but I do take regular classes. Specifically I’m into Bikram Yoga, otherwise known as “Sweat Your Ass Off” Yoga.
- Magic and Spirituality. I’m a sporadically-practicing Neo-Pagan and chaos magician, and I’m rarely into it as much as I’d like to be. I do go through phases, though.
- Politics. I don’t fancy myself an activist, but I do my best to keep informed, so politics, particularly American politics, are bound to come up at some point.
Other topics I haven’t mentioned will undoubtedly sneak in sideways, but the above gives you a general idea of what goes on in my head and my life. If it all sounds interesting to you, I hope you’ll stick around.